Tuesday, September 16, 2008

20 miles and going...

Sunday I ran 20 miles. It was hard but not miserable. I left at 5am and loved how quiet the main road was. It's usually a busy road alongside a shopping mall near a parkway on and offramp. There was no one on the road. Serenity in the city. The first 10 miles were hard. I started out too fast. The second not so bad. I have been experimenting with nutrition with gels, candy and sports drink. the gels are not pleasant but do the job. I really like the gatorade powder packs straight.

By mile 15 I got stressed about time. I needed to be back in time for James to get to church. It was his first day up front and I was NOT going to miss that. I had stopped and slowed down a lot. It was really humid. Along with that stress at 15 I hit the wall. Why am I doing this? Man, when I finish this marathon I am done. No more running. And where is the Novocaine? I need Novocaine to numb the pain. And why is that buff guy across the street running so fast, sweating like a pig and still smiling and friendly? Okay, make the music louder, sing with the music. I see the main road where he malls are. Only 3 miles left! I am elated. I turn on Old Country Rd and know this is the final stretch. I inadvertently run faster and after a mile I am hyperventilating. Oh well. Almost home. For the last few miles I have been talking to myself out loud. I realize I past mile 19 and I never hit the mile 19 wall. Guess I saw the wall at 15. Mile 19 was fabulous. I made it home and ran a total of 20.20. The kids came out to greet me. Byron high fived me. Luna asked how many I ran. I tell her 20. She says, "Wow Mom, you are going to finish that marathon!!!" Once when I did 16 she wasn't so encouraging, "Mom, you still have 10 more to go."

I had about 5 min to shower and get out the door to make it to church on time.

We made it about 10 min late. Oh it hurt and I mean hurt to get out of the car. We make it to the balcony in the church and I see James. He sees us and smiles. We didn't miss much. Except that before e arrived James mentor announced to the entire congregation that I ran 20 miles and would be a little late.

Today I did an easy 4-ish mile run. It was great. I have not felt that good in so long. I was honestly getting tired of this. It was a chore that I needed to complete. But tonight was nice. James and I chatted the whole time. I felt good the entire time.

Tomorrow I will run 7 from work to home.

7 weeks til the marathon!

No comments: