Sunday, August 31, 2008

Long Run in Central Park-18 miles!

Oh I love NY. I hopped on the train to the subway and did a group run in Central Park this morning with Team Hole in the Wall. There were so many others running and cycling in the park---so many shapes, sizes and paces. I completed 18 miles (6 mile loop x3).

It was a far more positive experience than my last two weekly long runs.

The last two I didn't have my hydration and nutrition figured out so by the last 2 miles I was crying and hurting pretty bad. Last week I hit the lowest point of my training and really didn't want to run anymore. I had decided I like up to 15 miles but anything past that was awful. How in the world am I going to do 26.2????? That was the hardest 17 miles (the first half was uphill and I shared 32 oz of water with Byron---not nearly enough). On my last shorter run (9 miles) last Wednesday where I run the speed I'd like to run in the marathon (pace run) I tripped on the sidewalk and landed face first at mile 8. I got scratched up pretty badly and I don't think I broke my nose but it's still sore. I managed to run the last mile after some fussing and encouragement from James. I was afraid to run after that, especially at night and took a few days off.

So today was really nice and brought me back to why I am running and what I love about it.

Sure it hurt by mile 15.5 and sure I wanted to be finished. But I loved taking in the beauty of Central Park knowing that today would be the furthest I have ever run. I got to talk with my Team hole in the Wall trainer for 6 miles. That was fun getting to know her. In two weeks we have another group run at the park. I am going for 20 then.

No comments: