Friday, June 27, 2008

All this smoke

For most of this month I have been building my running base doing speedwork, hillwork and increasing my distances. The fundraising is fair. Still much more to raise! People who I would never expect are giving which is great. I feel encouraged and proud. So help a kid, PLEASE!!!

Ironically on my last long run I was feeling burnt out. I wanted a break from running and thought long and hard about biking and swimming instead for a few days. i struggled though with worry about what would happen to my base if I skipped more than 3 days. I am at a point now where I can throw down 10 miles with some hills anytime anywhere and not feel like I am going to die. I wanted to move that to 15 miles. I was so close last week.

Next day, we have a devastating lightning storm setting fires to acres and acres in the county. Smoke fills the air. Warnings that NORMAL people are NOT to go outdoors and exercise. Ironically I got my wish for a running break. I hate the treadmill. So I threw my energy into my final assignments for the FNP program hoping to finish early.

That was last week. the smoke continues and worsens. More fires. Shit, we even have our precious things(photo albums) sitting on the sofa in case there is an evacuation warning for our area. Each night after work the air feels clear and I think tomorrow I can finally run. I wake up to smoke filled air, closed windows and a stuffy house. The air looks worse everyday.

Today I realized in my heart that I will probably not run my favorite route far out into the valley past the sheep and miniature horses the remainder of the time we are here (1 month). I looked down the road today and the smoke was thick in the valley. Word is the smoke will take at least a month to clear. I am sad. I am attached ot that route.

I went to the health club and swam 1000 yards today. It felt good. haven't swam (swum?) since winter and felt how strong my legs have become. Last week we did go to the coast where the air is clear and ran a 10K in the redwoods. that was nice. the kids rode their mountain bikes with us and paced us.

I guess I have to redo the training plan. Perhaps some mini triathlons at the health club trying to last on the treadmill as long as I can (I feel like I will die of boredom on that thing) and weekly trips t the coast or long runs.

*sigh*

No comments: