Monday, November 10, 2014

IRONMAN AZ- Here we gooooooo!

Over 7 years I began the triathlon journey, unplanned, completely surprising myself. I couldn't even pronounce it. I couldn't even swim a half lap across the pool without putting my feet down in desperation. And I certainly could not run. Yet I did it. I completed my first sprint triathlon with so much support. My coach had finished more than one Ironman. I was in awe. Part of me wanted to do one and the rest of me said hell no. I will never get THAT fit. That's a pipe dream. But it kept creeping in. Maybe in a few years, like 5 or 10. I'l have to run a marathon first then a century then swim that awful distance of 2.4miles individually.
Over the years I did just that  - multiple times.
Over the years I completed 4 half Ironman races with the last one essentially being phoned in with 2 injuries.
I was feeling good about doing 70.3's. At this point the pipe dream was getting closer. Yes one day I will do one, but in a few years when I'm really ready. I am definitely not confident yet. I need to actually believe in myself.
Then one evening after a few drinks, my triathlete friends and I were talking Ironman 2016- together. At that moment the lightbulb went off. I CAN do one. I have the physical and mental capacity to finish one. It's time. 2016 it is.
The knee injury and diagnosis was in the middle of this. I had to do some soul searching and frank discussion with my orthopedic. I want to finish 1 Ironman, just one then I promise no more running. I dreamed of doing Ironman Canada or Ironman Tahoe- lots of beautiful scenery and mountains. I like cycling hills. Seriously, I do. And if I do one and only one Ironman it has to be beautiful.
But my knee is the unknown -- meaning I may need to walk if it decides otherwise. That means I have to cut time off the bike- a lot and have enough leg power to do what it takes on the run to finish. I'm not going in with any possibility of a DNF. There is no signing up again after this. Therefore I will not sign up unless I know 100% I can finish.
Perhaps a flat course someone suggested. Are you nuts? That's boring.
What is the goal here? What is the reality with my knee? Yes perhaps a flat course where I can guarantee a fast bike and have ample time for the run.
Ironman AZ it is. It's close to home. I have family there and I want all of my family there. Ok. IMAZ 2016.
Im feeling anxious to move forward. Im feeling like I may not have a lot of years left with this knee before really needing surgery. I know in my heart it's time. I know in my heart I can finish.
I receive an email form Tri Club- guaranteed entry slots, send an email to the TCSD president. I do this but too late. Oh well. I check in just in case and I'm on the list.
Im on the list for
2015.
Wait. I made the list? Seriously?
Wow! So that means since the IMAZ fills so fast, I don't have to go the year before to the race and volunteer- saving me a lot of time, money and hassle. I don't have to risk not getting in. Im in. wow. But its a year earlier than planned. Do I go for it? Is it too soon?
Do it!
My knee will thank me.
I trust that the universe dropped this in my lap for a reason.
It's time.

So I wait many many months for the announcement from WTC. I plan my schedule. I'll have a few days to sign up and pay for my spot before general entry opens. I anxiously wait, get pretty neurotic the week before and today
around 9 am t
here is the WTC mail.
I pause to open it
Maybe its telling me I cannot sign up for some reason or anther.
I open and there it is.
The link.
Hell yeah Im signing up!
I'm ready.
I'm really ready.
My heart is pounding as I press the "complete" button.
Done.
I'm in.
IMAZ 11/15/15.

7 years later, I signed up for a full Ironman. The pipe dream becoming a reality. The idea that others do these but not my lazy ass. Funny thing is when I signed up and even now I have no doubt in my ability. I am fully confident I will finish. When I signed up for my first triathlon, first half marathon, first half marathon and first half ironman- I always felt like I had bitten off way more than I could chew and that I was aiming  too high. But today, I signed up 100% confident in myself.  I believe in me. I also understand that my knee may say otherwise but I am committed to taking care of this knee in the year of training and listening to it. Thats the real growth that comes with arriving here.

So off to the Ironman journey- 1 year of hard work and determination ahead.


No comments: