Sunday, July 13, 2008

Running again

The smoke is clearing but not yet gone. I am able to run outside and along my favorite route in the valley *hooray!* It's hard and I am not sure if I should attribute it to smoke I cannot smell or losing some of my base. Either way I am happy to be out again.

I ran a wonderful 11-miler on the coast in the redwoods again last week. Clear, cool air and spectacular views. My goal was 10 miles but I felt great and kept going. I could have gone further but James and the children finished and would have to wait longer for me.

Today's long run was difficult. I planeed to do 10-12 miles. I ran in the valley too late. It was 90 degrees. I started at 80-85 thinking it would be good to adapt as NY will be so humid. Afterall, I ran and biked last summer in 95 degrees regularly for the triathlon. The distances were shorter though. I learned that I need to slowly adapt to heat as I have grwon accustomed to running in cool temperatures. I bonked 4 miles in and let myself rest, hydrate and cool off. I was energized for 2 more miles, stopped to cool off and rehydrate and continued. I made it past the hills which didn't bother me. Then I bonked again and felt really weird. Not the same as previous runs. No leg pain, shortness of breath, just overall wierd. The sun felt worse and I was desperately looking for some shadows to run through. Any shade was good shade. I saw a car like ours and believed James somehow knew and was coming to get me. It wasn't. I cried and stopped. Only 2 more miles. I called him asking him to come and get me. hearing his voice helped. I decided I would continue running until I saw him. Maybe I could make it to the car before he got here. I stopped once and realized it was easier running as there was a breeze whenI ran and none when I stopped and stood in the beating sun. Wow. It was even hotter there. I saw the sheep and said hello and how I wished I could just lay out there with them under the tree. I saw the car. I knew it was him. I also realized I was starting to lose it. I couldn't run along the straight white line. I felt dizzy. The car was cool and I was happy he came. It hasn't hit me that I essentially gave up today. maybe I will rationalize it was simply too hot at this point.

My "official" training plan begins tomorrow. Funds are coming in and I am meeting my goal of raising 2/3 before I leave for NY. Only a few hundred shy of $2000. My heart fills with warmth from the genrosity of so many.

I am nervous. The NYC marathon is real now and honestly scares me. I have been reading the NY marathon and Team Hole in the Wall websites and everytime I start to well up. I also wonder if I can really do it? I have to.

This week's schedule (26 miles):

M: x-train (swim and weights)
T: easy 3 mi
W: tempo 6 mi
Th: easy 3 mi + weights
F: rest
Sa:easy 6 mi
Su: Long 8 mi

No comments: