Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Dublin arrival

Saturday Mar 22
We woke up early, or what seemed early after some drinks and going to bed at 3am! We ate breakfast and Csaba took us to the train station. We joked about meeting again in South Africa or somewhere else in the world. The train took us to Holyhead in Wales for a boat to Dublin. Our first boat was cancelled due to weather so we took the larger ship 2 hours later. The train ride was beautiful. I would have liked to have spent some time in Wales. Maybe next time. The boat took about 3.5hours. We arrived at dinnertime, found the bus easily and went to Dublin.

Our hostel was easy to find and quite nice. We settled in and went to dinner. We wandered around the Temple Bar area with every intention to try a Guinness and Jamieson. We picked a restaurant from the Lonely Planet book and found it. It was too expensive, questionably vegan and through our wanderings we found one we liked more so we went to that one instead. I loved the energy at this place. It was crowded but cozy. We ordered a bean soup and chips (fries). We decided to find O’Donoghue’s pub. We found it and it was very crowded. I have been to very few bars or pubs in my life, try 2 or 3, so I wasn’t sure how we did this. Ordered a pint of Guinness and a shot of whisky and found some stools to sit on. Like a kid, I was excited to tell the bartender, “I’ll have a pint of Guinness!” We had the opportunity to listen to live Irish music. I drank the whisky and liked it. I tried the Guinness…not so much. I am not much into beer. Later I tried more and eventually decided I could drink it. It wasn’t bad. Preferred the whisky though. We went back to the hostel to get some sleep. I planned our day for Sunday. We didn’t have much time but lots to see. James wanted to go on the 1916 Easter Rising walking tour, see the graves of the martyrs. I wanted to do the same, go for a run and go to Catholic mass. I made a schedule that looks workable. I like this city a lot. It is fun but mellow. It is easy to get around on foot.




Posted by Picasa

No comments: