Sunday, September 02, 2007

1 week

In less than one week I will have completed the tri. What an interesting concept. I have been reflecting on how far we have all come in this. I started out barely being able swim a lap in the pool. Coordinating the strokes and breaths felt impossible and oh, did my nose hurt from all of the water I breathed! Running seemed absolutely far fetched. the first time I ran at the high school track I was so winded and finished after 1 lap (1/4 mile). Then I was reserved to the fact that this would be a run/walk. Biking was fine but I didn't do hills. I quickly made it past the little hill in the valley with the utmost determination. Now I do hills bigger than that, no mountains yet though. But I can ride up the hill that hurts to walk.

James has always amazed me in this. Yesterday he was running a 7 min mile on the course. He is so humble about his achievements here. He is always calculating with this quiet determination. He makes it look so easy. Unlike myself, he is not dramatic. He quietly does his run . I watch how fast his legs move and it's incredible. He just does it and does it well.

Byron came in late in the training but it is clear he is a natural. Today he said the next thing he wants to buy is a new good street bike. We have cheap bikes. We didn't know how committed we were.

But after cussing at my bike at every long ride (handle bars would come loose, gears stop working, etc.) I decided to buy a nicer bike. I bought an exceptionally nice used bike from a teammate yesterday. It is sooo nice. I can lift the whole thing with 3 fingers--the carbon frame. It is fast too. It's a little big for my height but will work. I just have to ride more to get used to the handlebars and gears before tri day. Biking is my strength so I hope to make up some time from my slow swims. And the best part is I can just ride without feeling so frustrated with my bike.

I am feeling the closure but also keeping in mind that this is only the beginning. I will do the tri again next year with the goal of ranking in the middle of everyone. I want to do some bike races and crack a 10K and then enter a 10K run. I want to continue swimming and increase my speed for next year. Having an indoor pool in town will be nice for those cold rainy days this winter. I'll do the drills we did in training. James and I talk repetitively about training for a half iron-man (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run) or and Olympic tri (.93 mi swim, 24.8 mi bike, 6.2 mi run).That would be cool.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Training for a Triathlon! Now that is some commitment. Way to go! Thanks for your nice comments on my blog.